Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Carpe Diem

 

 


 

“…When it's over, I want to say: all my life 
I was a bride married to amazement. 
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms….” – Mary Oliver

 

"Carpe diem” means ‘seize the day’ but I am saying to ‘seize the moment’. With so much unknown about the future with climate warming, floods, fire, earthquakes, drought; with diseases rampant around the world; we just do not know what can be next; the future cannot be determined.  There is great conflict within families, within communities, within provinces and states, and within countries, who can even try to guess what is coming up.  We have to take care of knowing the lessons we have learned (the hard way, most times) and making the changes to be open-minded yet educated, of realizing not all things are either all good or all bad, and learn to forgive ourselves for not always knowing.  We need to slow down and listen and become even more empathetic to those we can not understand the reasons for their positions.  Adversity is rampant in all our lives, stress is great, and, although we are survivors, we do not know what will come that we will find challenging more than we have ever been challenged before.  Everything has changed.  We have changed.  We can only control ourselves and how we allow things to change us.  We need to make sure we know what is virtuous and how we reflect our virtues.  What means the most to us amidst all this?

We have changed and our values have changed, or we have become more micro-intro-perspective in all this.  What we have begun to use our time for has changed.  We have choice in what we do for each day, whether it is work, or retirement, or what we do with our free time.  We need to make sure we are deliberate and intentional with our 24 hours a day, every day, to make sure we are seizing the day and the moments.  We all, desperately need to feel we have a purpose, that we gain some sense of fulfilment for those hours, never mind for the rest of our life. Somehow we need to be open to new adventures, experiences, and allow for moments of ah, awe, and awwww.  It is all about attitude right now.

We have been shoved out of our comfort zones.  We are all feeling strange, bewildered, lost, and awkward.  It makes us be ‘in the Present’ because from moment to moment things change, people change, places change.  For instance, right now we can not take any highways to the North, to the west and to the East because of fire road closures.  The health organizations are saying that we have to stay out of the smoke, which makes us even more housebound.  First it was covid, now it is the toxic smoke.  They are saying that this is the new norm and that the elderly and vulnerable need to move out for the two months of summer fires and smoke that will be our new norm.  But they say that, and half of Canada is in smoke, the North is in smoke, the south of us is in smoke.  Where would one go since the borders are closed and south is not the answer either?   

Our bees are only making dark honey and little of it.  My little flower garden thinks it is fall and only a few are still trying to be summer.  Our forest are all on fire so camping and vacationing there is not an option.  Our motorhome is fueled and ready to go if we have to evacuate (to where, no one knows). Since we cannot be out in nature, where so many of us find our peace and comfort, we have to find our beauty within. Reading, cleaning, making beauty within our home is suddenly most boring.  I tried.  I am learning to savor silence of creating, though, and so I return to my dining table throughout the day to try to find some peace there.  (All my work to set up and art studio out in the gazebo is a no go.  Can’t be out there.  Cannot breathe.)  Now is the time to find things that can be done to create, not just beauty, but a sense of peace and fulfillment.  Finding something that soothes the soul is adamant. 

Making every moment count for something (even if it is a rejuvenating nap) is something to be developed.  I do a lot of research on topics that I find interesting or have wondered about.  Journaling helps me know and record how I am changing and what it is worth for the moments I do so.  Mary Oliver wrote a poem that really speaks to me about this:

Poem 102

When death comes 
like the hungry bear in autumn; 
when death comes and takes all the bright coins from his purse
 
to buy me, and snaps the purse shut; 
when death comes 
like the measle-pox;
 
when death comes 
like an iceberg between the shoulder blades,
 
I want to step through the door full of curiosity, wondering: 
what is it going to be like, that cottage of darkness?
 
And therefore I look upon everything 
as a brotherhood and a sisterhood, 
and I look upon time as no more than an idea, 
and I consider eternity as another possibility,
 
and I think of each life as a flower, as common 
as a field daisy, and as singular,
 
and each name a comfortable music in the mouth, 
tending, as all music does, toward silence,
 
and each body a lion of courage, and something 
precious to the earth.
 
When it's over, I want to say: all my life 
I was a bride married to amazement. 
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.
 
When it's over, I don't want to wonder 
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened, 
or full of argument.
 
I don't want to end up simply having visited this world.

—Mary Oliver

 

How are you applying carpe diem to your life?

 

©Carol Desjarlais  8.4.21

****Another textile art journal page

No comments:

Post a Comment