Saturday, October 5, 2019

Familiars





"In European folklore and folk-belief of the Medieval and Early Modern periods, familiar spirits (sometimes referred to simply as "familiars" or "animal guides") were believed to be supernatural entities that would assist witches and cunning folk in their practice of magic.  According to the records of the time, they would appear in numerous guises, often as an animal, but also at times as a human or humanoid figure, and were described as "clearly defined, three-dimensional… forms, vivid with colour and animated with movement and sound" by those alleging to have come into contact with them, unlike later descriptions of ghosts with their "smoky, undefined form[s]".[2]
When they served witches, they were often thought to be malevolent, while when working for cunning folk they were often thought of as benevolent (although there was some ambiguity in both cases). The former were often categorised as demons, while the latter were more commonly thought of and described as fairies. The main purpose of familiars is to serve the witch or young witch, providing protection for them as they come into their new powers. - Wikipedia  

Black cats were thought, in medieval times, to be witch's familiars but always, whatever culture linked black cats to mystery, magic and occult.  It is believed that ancient Egypt was first to begin the black cat myth.  They worships cats who they believed were gods, then Greece, then Asia, then the rest of Europe bought into the myth that black cats and evil /devils s were synonymous and  used by witches.  It was thought that black cats helped witches do their evil magic.   

In America, it flourished, as did the concept of witches.  And, there were women who chose to be called witches and they believed if they found a black cat, that they had to ask the cat's permission to use it, then the cat was brought to the witches home and if the black cat liked the home, they would stay and help her.  This is believed, even today, by women who choose to be witches. 

Because cats are said to have nine lives, can fall and always land on their feet, etc., they are considered carriers of magic.  Their personalities are ones of mystery.  They tend to like to be solitary and tend to be serious and tend to keep us from knowing exactly what they are thinking.  They are very "ME" oriented.  Cats, ass well, are known to know when there is something 'off' and will react by raising their hackles and arching their backs when something seems to be amiss...and sometimes we do not even know what is amiss but it is hair-raising to see a cat suddenly do such.  Witches believe that cats have a sixth sense and see between two worlds and the myths have built up and, even today, witches will have a black cat ( of course, not riding on the broom with her) but there is an uncommon deep bond built up with their familiar.

  We all know some of the myths and some of the facts about cats, and some myths have seemed to become fact.  Here are a few that I know of:

If a cat sneezes, rain is coming.  To kill a cat is to have 17 years bad luck (whereas breaking a mirror only gives us 7).

To have a black cat cross in front of you is bad luck.

Never stare a cat in the eyes as they can hypnotize you.

If a black cat brings you bad luck, walk backwards around it thirteen times to undo the bad luck spell.

Just know that there are many facts and fictions about cats and these things are believed by many.  You may know a witch and not even know it.  Some believe some are born with the gift.  I simply believe in cats making my eyes water and my nose plug.  I have been afraid of cats.. not since I was a child, but later as an adult when my sisters two Siamese cats clawed up and down me when I was on the phone and an electrical storm came.  It has taken me decades to not feel seriously uncomfortable when I knew a cat was close enough to jump on me.  Silly, I know, but something in me got stuck at being afraid of cats.  The fear is gone, now, of course, since I am stronger than my reactions.  I do not believe in hexes and spells and black cats being bad news.  I do not know about you.

Challenge:  Do an art piece with a black cat in it.  Your choice of environment or theme.

©Carol Desjarlais 10.5.19

2 comments:

  1. Oh Lord have Mercy . Those poor kitties where scared to death and you were the closest form of mercy . lolol How I love my cat, she stayed with me after my surgeries for 48 hrs never leaving me alone . Don't know when she ate or peed. Mystical indeed. They have homing instincts like no other animal and there are domestic . wow We are blessed to have them they have multi purposes extremely clean and independant <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still laugh at that incident with those cats.. strange how I grew up with cats around and never had a problem, but then to be all jerky-twerky around cats for a few years.. ok, for a decade or two..lol.. they were on a rampage that day, I remember.. tore your curtains in the living room..lol... I like your cat, I liked Nyx, so am pretty sure I am not cautious around them any more...lol. Yes, they know stuff.. I do know that. I remember you telling me about cat staying with you when you had your surgeries. They do know stuff for sure.. and are very mysterious, as well. xoxo cat.

      Delete